While studying with master practitioners and building deep bonds with a small, tight-knit cohort at The Progressive Education Institute, you will assistant teach at Harlem Village Academies, a network of five K-12 public charter schools committed to the ideals of progressive education.
The Associate Teacher Fellowship is a salaried, full-time position culminating in a Master of Science and Teaching (M.S.T.) with a Trans-B certification. This includes a pathway towards permanent, dual certification in General and Special Ed.
The Progressive Education Institute strives to create teacher-leaders who are passionate about learning for their students as well as for themselves. At PEI we believe that learning for teachers should model learning for children. To this end, courses at PEI are designed and taught through methods that model exemplary instruction for students, such as inquiry-based learning, Socratic seminar, and other approaches to deeper learning.
Join an incredible community of educators who are passionate about progressive pedagogy while embracing a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and accountability for student learning. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it.
- Support lead teachers in the development and teaching of highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with HVA’s standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Invest several hours per week in sophisticated professional learning led by master educators at our Progressive Education Institute, including personalized instructional coaching, lesson study, co-planning, book study groups, and other learning work
- Inspire students to hold themselves to high standards of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe, and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- BA in any field, with a 3.0 or higher
- GRE General Test taken by June 1, 2019
- A commitment to progressive pedagogy, including:
- Deep dedication to learning and developing your teaching craft
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Stage 1: Apply by January 15th, 2019
- Stage 2: Phone Interviews (January)
- Stage 3: In-person interviews (January-February)
- Stage 4: Associate Teachers are notified of acceptance (early April)
- Stage 5: Fellowship begins! (late July)
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.