Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
At HVA, we believe that all students can excel academically, including students with special needs. As the Special Education Coordinator, you will lead the development and implementation of a best-in-class program that meets the needs of all students. You will work closely with staff, students, and families of HVA Middle to ensure that special education students thrive at school. And you’ll make sure that HVA complies with all relevant laws and policies.
- Lead the development and implementation of a highly engaging, best-in-class special education program that meets the needs of all students
- Ensure that the school remains in compliance with Special Education laws, as outlined in the CSE's Standard Operating Procedures Manual (SOPM) as well as in the Chancellor’s new memorandum
- Coordinate the completion and implementation of Functional Behavior Assessments (FBAs) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIPs)
- Coordinate with the Center for Special Education to secure and manage relevant service provider visits including hearing and vision screenings and student IEP reviews
- Oversee programs including integrated co-teaching classrooms and special education teacher support services
- Manage a Child Study Team to ensure the success of the CSE student referral process
- Provide high quality instruction to our special education students in a SETSS setting
- Attend appropriate training and information sessions coordinated by the Special Education Collaborative
- At least 5 years working in special education including in an integrated co-teaching setting
- Extensive experience and knowledge of NYC special education compliance laws and issues
- Ability to differentiate curriculum across subject areas
- Experience in providing professional development to a special education team
- Proven success with high-quality progressive pedagogy preferred; a commitment to developing progressive pedagogy is essential
- Strong track record of student achievement in past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported, and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
All team members are passionately and deeply committed to the mission, vision, and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive and professional attitude; exhibit a very strong work ethic; and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.