What Makes Harlem Village Academies Different?
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working together to build an urban school district in Harlem based on the ideals and rich tradition of progressive education.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
Constant Learning for Teachers
We give our faculty access to the most accomplished master teachers and the most sophisticated professional learning opportunities in the country. We?re learning every day, meeting frequently to discuss our instruction, reflect on our lessons and improve our pedagogy. We?re passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students.
Who We?re Looking For
Our teachers are smart, passionate educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who inspire students to love learning, and who play very well with others.
As a K-5 Social Worker at Harlem Village Academies, you play a vital role in ensuring that each student fully realizes his or her potential. You partner with students, families, teachers and staff to help students overcome and/or successfully manage barriers that negatively impact their academic, social, and emotional success at school. You provide counseling to our students in individual and group settings. You lead the way in managing crises and ensuring that students have access to outside resources as needed. You guide teachers and other staff to effectively address student issues. Our ideal candidate is an extremely smart, passionate, and self-motivated top performer with proven clinical, teamwork and communication skills. You get around any obstacle in order to do what?s best for a child. The word bureaucracy makes a cold chill go down your spine. You?re thrilled to work with talented educators and you thrive as part of a high-performing, very committed and very hardworking team.
- Provide mandated and at-risk individual and group counseling addressing academic, personal, and/or interpersonal challenges
- Advise and partner with teachers and staff to develop solutions to student, group, and school-wide issues
- Supervise school social work intern(s), providing guidance, feedback and support
- Coordinate services with external providers and link students and families to resources as needed (case management)
- Provide crisis counseling services to students and families as needed
- Help develop school protocols for effectively supporting students
- Support the school community with other duties upon request
- Execute all necessary paperwork in a timely manner
- Master?s in Social Work, with LMSW license (LCSW preferred)
- At least 2 years of experience working with elementary aged students
- Excellent clinical skills and a thorough understanding of child development and behavior
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student success
- Exceptional relationship-building and communication skills
- Unshakeable belief that all students can learn at a high level and should be held to high academic standards
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and tremendous attention to detail
- Proficiency in Spanish a major plus
- SIFI certified a plus