Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
The Finance Manager is a key member of the Finance team. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the Finance Manager carefully tracks expenses from across the organization, prepares clear and accurate financial reports, and manages numerous financial processes that are critical to the daily operations of HVA. The Finance Manager also supports major finance team projects including preparing for external audits, budgeting, and forecasting.
The ideal candidate is a smart, motivated high performer with strong analytical and data skills, a keen attention to detail, and a customer service focus. Additionally, he/she is a multi-tasker who is willing to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for both internal use and external reporting to regulatory agencies, charitable foundations, and Board of Directors
- Coordinate month end general ledger close and account reconciliations
- Manage the monthly credit card statements and reconciliations
- Perform daily functions including AP, AR, bank reconciliations, and payroll processing
- Prepare special reports for foundations and regulatory agencies
- Assist with the preparation for the annual independent audit
- Formulate, maintain, and analyze a budget for forecasting and expense analysis for our 5 schools
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedures manual
- Develop and recommend solutions for various problems and situations
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Accounting or Finance
- 2 to 5 years of experience in public accounting or finance preferred
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel and Word aptitude, including nested formulas, pivot-tables, and formatting techniques
- Experience using QuickBooks and Ultimate Payroll software preferred
- Successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills to support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills; ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.