Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
As the Associate Dean of Students, you will be a close partner with the school’s Deans of Students and faculty to help students overcome obstacles to their academic, social, and emotional success at school. You will work closely and directly with students who are having challenges at school, manifested in their conduct in or out of the classroom. You will serve as a role model to our students, holding them to the highest standards of character and conduct while forming close relationships that inspire them to give their best every day.
The ideal candidate is a smart, passionate educator with an extraordinary ability to connect with, inspire, and mentor young people. S/he has a talent for working with kids who struggle at school. S/he is great at helping students become more reflective and take more ownership over their educations. S/he is genuinely kind, thrives on a dynamic team, and builds caring, strong relationships with students and other faculty.
- Support and promote the school’s culture, professional values and standards, and serve as a role model to students
- Build and reinforce lasting relationships with families to support students’ success
- Provide supervisionto students serving suspension for significant behavioral infractions
- Support the dean in accurately monitoring and tracking daily AI attendance and discipline records
- Monitor during lunch and hallway transitions to ensure that they are orderly and efficient
- Supervise students who have been removed from the classroom and support the dean with proper follow-up, involving teachers and families as appropriate
- Help students effectively manage conflicts with other students, teachers, or staff; build skills for independently preventing and resolving disagreements in students
- 3+ years of related professional experience
- Teaching, mentorship, and student advocacy experience preferred
- A team player, with a strong work ethic and consistent follow-through
- Exceptionally effective at building lasting and meaningful relationships with students
- Excellent ability to engage and work with families
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to anticipate problems and proactively develop solutions
- Desire to work with folks who are super smart and take themselves very seriously
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.