Interested applicants should apply by submitting an updated resume, a letter of interest highlighting recent achievement results with students, and a recent teaching video.
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
Harlem Village Academies is looking for educators who can teach our elementary school students remotely for up to three 3-week cycles (total of 9 weeks) this summer. Teachers may opt-in to one, two, or all three cycles and will be fully responsible for their students’ learning and growth, including engaging the students in the material as well as maintaining a positive classroom environment.
For three days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) ELA teachers will teach one 3-hour session from 8:30am to 11:30am, followed by a planning and professional learning period from 11:30am to 12:30pm. Math teachers will participate in planning and professional learning from 9:00am to 10:00am, then teach two 90-minute sessions from 10:00am to 11:30am and 12:00pm to 1:30pm. Teachers may choose to work a fourth day, on Fridays, where they will either teach a reading or math lesson to a larger group of students.
Additionally, all summer school teachers will join three 2-hour sessions of training at night, which will take place the week prior to each cycle's start date.
First 3-week cycle
- Training dates: three 2-hour sessions the week of May 31
- Teaching dates: June 7 - June 25
Second 3-week cycle
- Training dates: three 2-hour sessions the week of June 21
- Teaching dates: June 28 - July 16
Third 3-week cycle
- Training dates: three 2-hour sessions the week of July 12
- Teaching dates: July 19 - August 6
- Teach a small group of students for 3 hours and participate in planning and professional learning for an additional hour each day
- Keep students highly engaged in their learning
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused and safe environment
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- At least four years of elementary school teaching experience preferred
- Deep subject knowledge matched only by the ability to inspire students to love learning
- Proven track record of student achievement in past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported, and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- ELA teachers must have a clear understanding of close reading (Lavinia training is strongly preferred)
- Math teachers must have a clear understanding of math workshop, discourse-based instruction, and CG
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive mindset; a very strong work ethic; and an inner drive for excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.