HVA High has a solid track record of success, with 95% of students accepted to college every year since inception. The College Counselor will manage the college admissions process and systems at HVA High. S/he will join a dynamic team of educators and will take our work to the next level, continually improving the quality of colleges to which our students are accepted.
- Create, execute, and monitor systems that ensure an efficient and effective college application process.
- Provide one-on-one college counseling to a caseload of seniors through the admissions cycle including, but not limited to, creating a college list, writing and revising the personal statement, advising on financial aid, and making final matriculation decisions.
- Arrange strategic college representative visits to HVA.
- Collaborate with HVA marketing to promote HVA to national colleges and universities.
- Build and maintain relationships with colleges and universities to create partnerships benefiting both the school and students.
- Build strong relationships with teacher teams.
- Create communication systems to work effectively with students and parents.
- Track and ensure progress of all college initiatives.
- Accountable for accomplishing goals including but not limited to 95%+ of students accepted to four-year colleges as well as goals related to college matriculation and college selectivity.
College Readiness 9-12 Curriculum and Courses
- Collaborate with the team to teach and/or co-teach College Readiness courses, working directly with students.
- Collaborate with teachers and advisors to implement college and career curriculum.
College Admissions Testing & Reporting
- Maintain relationships and manage college testing processes for PSAT, SAT, ACT and IB, including but not limited to test dates and score reporting.
- Oversee ACT or SAT prep programs, both in-house and external, to meet goals.
- Ensure timely uploading and sharing of test data to inform college and school practices.
- Evaluate test results to identify possible school-wide intervention strategies.
- Use data-driven practices to inform yearly benchmarks calendar, college lists, and financial aid timeline.
- Coordinate with advisors and grade level leaders to ensure collaboration and support of college initiatives in the school.
- Ensure operations and academic teams are informed, aligned and supporting the needs of the college team, e.g. transcripts, data imports from student information systems.
- Plan and execute strategic college visits aligned to the 9-12th grade scope and sequence.
- Develop strategic events that celebrate the success of HVA Seniors and build a school-wide college going culture.
- Masters in higher education, school counseling, or related field preferred
- At least three years of demonstrated success in advising low-income, first generation college applicants and their families in all phases of the college and financial aid application processes including student admissions to selective colleges and favorable financial packages.
- Experience developing early college awareness programs resulting in student motivation.
- Wide knowledge of east coast and national colleges including degree programs, opportunity programs, diversity programs, admissions criteria, defining fit for first-generation low-income students, as well as familiarity with admissions personnel.
- Effective participation in local, state, and national college admissions counseling events and professional organizations leading to increased results for student admissions
- Experience with college prep and/or college readiness curriculum development
- Teaching or training experience preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and acute attention to detail
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- Focus on results and the flexibility and willingness to do “whatever it takes”
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Solid technical skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
All team members are passionately and deeply committed to the mission, vision, and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive and professional attitude; exhibit a very strong work ethic; and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.