Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute (PEI).
Join an incredible community of educators who are passionate about progressive pedagogy while embracing a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and accountability for student learning. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it.
This role is a unique professional step for an exemplary school leader because:
- We’re an organization committed to both social justice and progressive pedagogy
- Our culture is special: we put kids first, care about each other, and work with passion and joy
- We banish bureaucracy. A Principal’s time is incredibly valuable; we go to great lengths to eliminate administrative nonsense, burdensome paperwork, and pointless meetings
- The Progressive Education Institute (which the Principal contributes to building) will support his/her faculty with exceptionally sophisticated professional learning in the country
- The PEI gives the Principal an unparalleled intellectual community of master educators
- The Principal can truly focus on instructional leadership, as s/he is supported by skilled operations staff in the school and the HVA network
The Principal leads faculty, staff, instruction and culture at a growing HVA elementary school, guiding the school community to realize our vision. The Principal receives ongoing mentoring and coaching from a master school leader.
The successful candidate will have extensive expertise in school leadership and education instruction (both progressive and classroom management) at the elementary level, together with a profound commitment to sophisticated pedagogy and social justice. As the instructional leader of an HVA elementary school, the Principal’s critical focus is on every student’s academic, social, and emotional growth, and the development of faculty. S/he will work with talented colleagues in an organization that values entrepreneurial drive, teamwork and accountability.
The key responsibilities of the Principal include, but are not limited to, the following:
Ensure the Highest Quality Education
- Continuously elevate the quality of teaching by providing high quality professional learning
- Continuously deepen student learning, increase the sophistication of student work and promote student intrinsic motivation
- Teach a small group and whole class to model institution and ensure that you lead by example
Lead People and Culture
- Establish and uphold a school culture that exemplifies the HVA values
- Hire, manage and develop an exceptionally effective faculty and staff
- Build and nurture strong relationships with families, create and maintain a thriving community of families, staff and students
- Be an exemplar of commitment, professionalism, and inspiration to all members of the school community
- Ensure exceptional performance on the NYS tests
Contribute to the Progressive Education Institute
- Be part of the team of master educators who are developing the PEI, a new institution of higher learning for teachers that will be closely integrated with Harlem Village Academies
- Contribute formally to the design process of the PEI through periodic retreats and meetings during the year, as well as informally on an ongoing basis
- Engage in ongoing professional development for yourself, tailored to your needs as the school leader (e.g. through coaching from a master school leaders
The successful candidate will have experience in progressive education, as well as effective leadership experience (e.g. as Principal, Division Head, Assistant Principal or equivalent). He or she will have a demonstrated track record of success in all or most of the following:
- Developing high quality, sophisticated progressive instruction at the elementary level
- Elevating teaching quality through designing and facilitating sophisticated professional learning for faculty
- Lead school culture based on restorative practices that require and foster students’ character development, independence and ownership
- Effectively managing people in an entrepreneurial, changing environment
- Gathering and using data to inform strategies for moving a school forward
- Stamina to work longer days and a longer school year; an extraordinary work ethic and capacity for problem-solving
- Commitment to be held accountable for results and hold others to high standards; very entrepreneurial attitude, with focus on results, teamwork, and continuous learning
- Shares all HVA values, including a deep conviction that educators are accountable for student intrinsic motivation and learning at a high level
- Significant year over year gains on state tests
- Warm and inviting personality with teachers and families
- Bachelor’s degree required; relevant Master’s degree preferred
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.