The Associate Teacher Fellowship is an opportunity to study in a small cohort with master practitioners at the Progressive Education Institute (PEI) while teaching at Harlem Village Academies (HVA), a fifteen-year-old network of charter schools committed to progressive education.
PEI’s methodical coursework and mentoring are grounded in constant real-world practice and in a rich engagement with a variety of pedagogical approaches. We understand that becoming a great teacher requires more than just copying someone else’s playbook of teacher moves; you need to think for yourself, trying and reflecting and revising, building the same independence and critical intelligence that you hope to cultivate in your own students.
The Fellowship is a salaried ($54,000), full-time teaching position culminating in a Master of Science in Teaching (MST) with New York State Initial Certification in Elementary Education and Special Education.
The total estimated cost for the two-year program (including summers) is $9,714.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
What Makes Us Different?
- Put progressive vision into action. PEI is committed to exquisite instruction. Our graduate candidates learn how to spark every student’s intellectual curiosity and to help them experience the thrill of deeper learning. Because our objective is to shape students who are genuinely good people (not just well-behaved), our graduate candidates learn how to create a school culture that cultivates student independence and leadership.
- Be prepared for any classroom. Some programs educate graduate students to be a particular kind of teacher for a specific kind of school. At PEI, graduate students are exposed to a full-range of research-based best practices and are prepared to be strong teachers in any school.
- Learn in the school where you teach. Instead of commuting to an unrelated institution, PEI graduate students are embedded in classrooms at Harlem Village Academies. Graduate students and professors often know and teach the same students, so learning is never hypothetical and practice can be adjusted in real time. Evening classes are online or in walking distance from where you teach.
- Support lead teachers in teaching an engaging, rigorous curriculum, aligned with high standards and progressive theory
- Invest in weekly professional learning led by master educators at PEI, including adapting theory to practice, instructional coaching, lesson study, and co-planning
- Inspire students to hold themselves to high standards both for character and for academic performance
- Maintain classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe, and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data to inform and differentiate instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery
- Build close relationships with families, including through calls and conferences
Fall/Spring classes meet online on Monday (7:30pm-8:30pm) and in person on Wednesday (5:00-6:30pm), with monthly Saturday intensives. Summer 1 classes meet in person; Summer 2 classes meet online.
- BA (3.0 or higher)
- Commitment to progressive pedagogy, including dedication to developing teaching craft and a strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
Application and Interviews
Submit your application today by navigating to the bottom of this page. Applicants are considered on a rolling basis. Selected applicants will be invited to a phone interview and then an in-person interview.
By Monday, March 2, 2020
- Create a TEACH account
- Pass the NYS Educating All Students (EAS) exam
- Pass the NYS Content Specialty Test (CST): either Elementary (grades 1-6), Middle (grades 5-9), or Secondary (grades 7-12)
By Friday, May 1, 2020
- Create an admissions account, and upload your transcripts and personal statement (500 words)
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) results from within the past 5 years (score reporting code 2635)
Save the Dates (Subject to Change)
- PEI Institute. All day during the week of July 13, with evening classes through August 22.
- HVA Institute. July 20 – August 15.