Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
The Finance Associate is a key member of the Finance team. Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Finance Associate supports tracking expenses across the organization, preparing financial reports, and managing financial processes that are critical to the daily operations of HVA. The Finance Associate also supports ongoing major finance team projects.
The ideal candidate is a smart, motivated high performer with strong analytical and data skills, a keen attention to detail, and a customer service focus. Additionally, he/she is a multi-tasker who is willing to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Perform daily functions which include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and bank reconciliations
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and annual financial statement preparation for both internal and external use
- Perform ongoing procurement and accounts payable functions using third-party bill payment software, Bill.com
- Communicate with vendors to resolve disputes, correct billing errors, provide tax-exempt documentation, and provide other information and analyses as necessary
- Prepare monthly credit card statements, classifications and reconciliations
- Coordinate month end general ledger closings and account reconciliations
- Ensure proper documentation and implementation of government-funded grant programs
- Assist with the preparation and analyses for independent annual audits
- Develop and recommend solutions for various problems or situations
- Assist the Finance Manager and VP of Finance with financial reporting as needed
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to HVA’s values and mission
- Bachelor’s Degree, and 0-2 years of experience required, preferably, in Accounting or Finance
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and comfortable with QuickBooks, data entry and basic elements of finance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills to ensure purposeful and professional relationships across all functions and campuses
- Maintains security and confidentiality of all information
- Demonstrates the ability to accommodate a high level of responsibilities and multi-task
- High level of organization skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Completes tasks in a timely manner, using own initiative and with minimal supervision
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively on assignments using judgment and resourcefulness
- Maintains professionalism through promptness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Self-reflective and open to feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.