Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Harlem Village Academies is expanding its curriculum team. Reporting to the Managing Director, the ELA Assessments Director will ensure all ELA assessments, scoring guides, and related resources drive toward the Common Core State Standards, are vertically aligned and consistent across schools, and support high levels of student achievement.
- Manage the creation and/or curation of all ELA assessments for K-8, including…
- Selecting appropriately rigorous texts for each interim assessment
- Writing multiple choice, short response, and extended response questions
- Drafting writing prompts/tasks
- Develop scoring guides and other professional learning materials to support accurate and consistent scoring across grades and schools
- Curate all test prep materials for grades 3-8
- Analyze trends in data and student work to identify strengths and weaknesses, to support leaders and teachers in planning next steps, and to modify curriculum, assessment, and professional learning as needed
- Collaborate with the data team on accurate and timely assessment systems
- Support operational and logistical needs related to assessments, including sending assessments to print, liaising with vendors, communicating with schools, etc.
- Master’s degree
- At least four years of experience in literacy-based assessment development and/or literacy program management with a proven track record of student achievement results
- Experience creating data analysis systems and implementing those systems across a school or network of schools
- Possess knowledge of K-8 literacy curriculum and writing instruction
- Understanding of the core tenets of progressive pedagogy and implications for curriculum and instruction
- Create resources that provide guidance on excellent writing instruction and feedback
- Manage assessment projects across the team, including building out timelines and tracking project completion
- Demonstrated success creating and managing systems and work product
- Incredibly high excellence bar and ownership over results
- A team player with a strong work ethic and consistent follow-through
- Ability to build lasting and meaningful relationships with team members, students, and families
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
All team members are passionately and deeply committed to the mission, vision, and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive and professional attitude; exhibit a very strong work ethic; and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.