Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
As an Elementary School Social Worker at Harlem Village Academies, you play a vital role in ensuring that each student fully realizes his or her potential. You partner with students, families, teachers, and staff to help students overcome and/or successfully manage barriers that negatively impact their academic, social, and emotional success at school. You provide counseling to our students in individual and group settings. You lead the way in managing crises and ensuring that students have access to outside resources as needed. You guide teachers and other staff to effectively address student issues. Our ideal candidate is an extremely smart, passionate, and self-motivated top performer with proven clinical, teamwork, and communication skills. You get around any obstacle in order to do what's best for a child. The word bureaucracy makes a cold chill go down your spine. You're thrilled to work with talented educators and you thrive as part of a high-performing, committed, and hardworking team.
- Provide mandated and at-risk individual and group counseling addressing academic, personal, and/or interpersonal challenges
- Advise and partner with teachers and staff to develop solutions to student, group, and school-wide issues
- Supervise school social work intern(s), providing guidance, feedback and support
- Coordinate services with external providers and link students and families to resources as needed (case management)
- Provide crisis counseling services to students and families as needed
- Help develop school protocols for effectively supporting students
- Support the school community with other duties upon request
- Execute all necessary paperwork in a timely manner
- Master's in Social Work, with LMSW license (LCSW preferred)
- At least 2 years of experience working with elementary school aged students
- Excellent clinical skills and a thorough understanding of child development and behavior
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student success
- Exceptional relationship-building and communication skills
- Unshakeable belief that all students can learn at a high level and should be held to high academic standards
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and tremendous attention to detail
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
- SIFI certified a plus
All team members are passionately and deeply committed to the mission, vision, and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive and professional attitude; exhibit a very strong work ethic; and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environmen
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.