Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute. Join an incredible community of educators who are passionate about progressive pedagogy while embracing a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and accountability for student learning. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it.
Harlem Village Academies’ alumni community is thousands strong--the Postsecondary Success team currently engages the community through programming and 1:1 advising structures.
As an essential member of the Postsecondary Success Team, the Alumni Support Manager plays a critical role in supporting alumni program strategy and vision, ensuring that each HVA graduate is positioned to find success after high school. The Manager will oversee the Alumni Support Advisors, who provide 1:1 advising to caseloads of students across the college campuses; the Manager may also maintain a caseload of HVA alumni to support ongoing engagement efforts to build a professional network of HVA graduates. The Manager will collaborate with the HVA College Access, Leadership, and Academic Teams in executing a cohesive vision for alumni engagement and postsecondary readiness. The Alumni Support Manager reports directly to the Director of Postsecondary Success.
- Work with the Director to execute and improve vision and framework for college success support for 2-year, 4-year, and alternative pathways
- Manage Alumni Support Advisors through regular one-on-one in-person and virtual meetings, team meetings, and live coaching sessions to deliver high impact advisements around monthly milestones and benchmarks (including financial aid completion, course registration, transcript collection, credit accumulation)
- Partner with Advisors in creating and executing annual communication/touchpoint plans
- Arrange for travel to visit Advisors on their campuses on a monthly basis (or emergency situations) during the school-year, and utilize technology for virtual communication when off-site
- Assist with developing and delivering professional learning opportunities for Postsecondary and Secondary teams around critical success factors in persistence and retention
- Support Advisors in establishing and maintaining campus partnerships, including Opportunity Program advisors, Academic Support Services, Health and Wellness Centers, and Career Development Offices
- Monitor academic performance and communication data management in Salesforce
- Leverage alumni datasets to inform approach to alumni advising and perform ad hoc analyses of alumni cohort outcomes
- Build relationships with alumni family members to build and strengthen HVA Alumni Community
- Collaborate with the HVA College Guidance Team to share knowledge and alumni experience, and facilitate smooth transition from February-June of Senior Year
- And plan and support the execution of alumni engagement activities (both on and off HVA’s campus), including an annual Alumni Homecoming and Summer Sendoff
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred
- Unwavering sense of hope and commitment to student success
- A passion for cultivating and maintaining a team-oriented, mission-driven culture
- Energetic, passionate, and zest for the work (sense of humor helps too)
- 3-5 years experience in college access, success, student affairs, or academic advising
- Experience working with underrepresented and diverse student populations
- Demonstrated people or program management experience
- Ability to travel to college campuses inside and outside of NYC regularly (for outside NYC, twice per month for 2-3 days at a time); driver’s license strongly preferred
- Proactive problem-solver with an ability to identify and flag issues early
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail resulting in consistent follow-through
- Proven ability and desire to build relationships with students and families
- Self-starter with a desire to support the creation of new systems
All team members are passionately and deeply committed to the mission, vision, and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive and professional attitude; exhibit a very strong work ethic; and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.