Interested applicants should apply by submitting an updated resume, a letter of interest highlighting recent achievement results with students, and if available, an artifact that highlights student achievement (a link to a teaching video, lesson plan, student work example).
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
Harlem Village Academies is offering an exciting opportunity for highly effective educators to tutor small groups of 2-3 high school students in mathematics, science, history, ELA, or Spanish remotely or in person beginning in the fall of 2021. Tutors will be fully responsible for providing assistance to increase every student’s understanding of a specific subject and build up their study skills, including engaging the students in the material as well as maintaining a positive learning environment.
Tutors may choose either or both of the following options and may choose one, two, three or all four cycles:
Option 1: Tutor three days a week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays) for 60 minutes per session from 4:35PM - 5:35PM. Attend a 30-minute weekly meeting on Tuesdays with HVA Tutoring Director to analyze student work and data (5:35PM - 6:05PM).
Option 2: Tutor Saturdays for two 90-minute sessions from 9:00AM - 10:30AM and from 10:30AM - 12:00PM. Attend a 30-minute meeting beforehand with HVA Tutoring Director to analyze student work and data (8:30AM - 9:00AM).
All tutors will attend a 3-hour training session, which will take place the week prior to each cycle's start date.
- Training dates: 3-hour session the week of September 6
- Teaching dates: September 13 - October 23
- Training dates: 3-hour session the week of October 25
- Teaching dates: November 1 - January 15
- Training dates: 3-hour session the week of January 17
- Teaching dates: January 24 - March 26
- Training dates: 3-hour session the week of March 28
- Teaching dates: April 11 - June 4
Compensation is $60/hour for teaching, data analysis/studying student work and training. Tutors will also have the opportunity to participate in optional professional development sessions to learn more about HVA’s progressive educational model.
- Teach 2-3 students during assigned hours with passionate dedication to teaching effectively.
- Participate in planning and professional learning for an additional 3-hour session at the beginning of each cycle, as well as meet with the Tutoring Director for 30 minutes each week to study student work, analyze student data, establish, and refine individual student goals, and ensure weekly progress toward those goals.
- Provide highly effective instruction during assigned hours.
- Assist with homework. Explain concepts in a manner that students understand.
- Observe and evaluate students' work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement.
- Develop a full working knowledge of academic skills development materials and strategies
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs, abilities and interests.
- Intrinsically motivate and support students through challenging and meaningful work.
- Conduct pre and post assessments with students. Measure and report progress.
- Supervise and monitor students.
- Measure and report progress to the Tutoring Director, the students’ classroom teacher(s) and the school principal.
- Communicate the student progress and struggles each week through HVA’s feedback system.
- Attend all required meetings and trainings.
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards.
- Bachelor's degree
- Must pass a NYS required background check
- Strong knowledge of specified academic subject or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training
- Strong GPA in college coursework
- Strong knowledge of academic subjects, as required based on the assigned program. Science or other subjects as required based on the assigned program.
- Proven ability to effectively implement learning techniques and concepts for learners of different levels.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Flexibility with regard to work environment.
- Openness to feedback, training and skills development. Ability to improve based on feedback.
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.