Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
Joining a dynamic team of educators, the Director of Special Projects will drive key initiatives and projects in support of Harlem Village Academies’ network priorities. This person has broad knowledge and deep experience in quality operations, a sense of urgency around how strong systems and procedures directly relate to student achievement results, and a passionate commitment to quality. They will work closely with the Operations Directors at each school and the Network education leadership team to implement and contribute to the continual improvement and HVA’s school operations teams.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Education Systems, the Director of Special Projects will execute high-impact initiatives related, but not limited to, instruction, school management, and HVA’s COVID-19 response plan. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Serve as a strategic leader and support with high-level vision setting to prioritize initiatives based on organizational goals
- Proactively identify and assess problems, and propose creative, innovative, and lean solutions to resolve efficiently.
- Advise and provide ad-hoc support to the Senior Director as directed.
- Lead projects and initiatives as assigned and monitor project execution toward project outcomes, managing issues and risks and providing regular progress updates and results to organizational leaders.
- Define the scope, deliverables and schedules for high-leverage projects and drive accountability and results across teams and stakeholders.
- Develop standardized project management templates, tools and processes for the broader Education Support team to ensure consistency across projects, streamlined execution and high-quality work product.
- As an initial special project, drive HVA’s ongoing response to COVID-19 and ensure that existing internal COVID-19 health and safety policies protocols are implemented with fidelity
- Bachelor’s Degree with 7+ years of operational experience preferred
- Experience in leadership development with strong consulting and coaching skills and supporting managers of people;
- Strategic and systems-thinking; capacity to envision, plan and implement new systems, projects, and practices that dramatically improve school operations;
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based upon trust, respect, effective communication, and shared goals and fostering a culture based on restorative practices;
- Entrepreneurial, creativity and a solutions mindset; is adaptable and flexible to a fast-paced, high-intensity environment, with the ability to manage competing priorities and use good judgement through ambiguity;
- A mindset of excellence; attention to detail, and insistence on quality; a sense of personal accountability for results and experience holding a team to high standards.
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence, and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.