Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Join an incredible community of educators who are passionate about progressive pedagogy while embracing a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and accountability for student learning. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it. Salary range for this position is $62,000 - $104,000 and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Final salary may be adjusted based on experience and qualifications. HVA is committed to providing our team with a range of benefit offerings at a competitive value.
- Plan and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with HVA’s standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, department meetings, grade level meetings and other learning work
- Build strong, lasting relationships with students, inspiring them to hold themselves to a high standard of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom expectations that support students to develop increased agency, responsible autonomy and ownership over learning
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Contribute to the school community by attending school events, leading a club, reading group, athletic team, or other initiative
- Two years of mathematics teaching experience, preferably in grades 5-9
- A commitment to progressive mathematics pedagogy: e.g. using inquiry, problem solving, and discussion to help students think like mathematicians and develop deep conceptual understanding
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Highly thoughtful and reflective, committed to always getting smarter with colleagues, reflecting on mistakes, welcoming feedback and making continual adjustments in your practice
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.