Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Harlem Village Academies High, the only IB Diploma Programme school in Harlem, is seeking engaging and experienced applicants to teach in the school’s expanding IB For All program. Every student at HVAH is on-track to participate in five or more IB classes, as we work to prepare all our Juniors and Seniors to become full-IB diploma candidates. Join this experienced and successful IB team!
The IB Math teacher is an experienced, reflective practitioner who uses an inquiry-based approach within the IB framework to create positive learning environments that motivate and challenge learners to become self-regulated leaders and independent thinkers. They will teach IB Math Applications and IB Math Applications & Analysis to 11th and 12th graders. Salary range for this position is $62,000 - $104,000 and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Final salary may be adjusted based on experience and qualifications. HVA is committed to providing our team with a range of benefit offerings at a competitive value.
- Create a classroom environment in which students enjoy and develop an appreciation of the elegance and power of mathematics, as well as the principles and nature of mathematical study.
- Motivate students to employ and refine their powers of abstraction and generalization, logical, critical, and creative thinking skills, and patience and persistence in problem-solving.
- Cultivate an appreciation of how developments in technology and mathematics have influenced one another, along with the moral, social, and ethical implications arising from the work of mathematicians and the applications of mathematics.
- Encourage students to appreciate the contribution of mathematics to other disciplines and as a particular “area of knowledge” in the “Theory of Knowledge” course.
- In designing your curriculum, align lesson plans with both academically rigorous IB benchmarks and HVA’s progressive pedagogical model.
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning and lesson planning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, department meetings, and grade level meetings.
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards. Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction.
- At least two years of teaching experience in grades 7-12, preferred
- Experience teaching, or knowledge of, IB Math curricula, required
- A commitment to developing progressive pedagogy
- A strong track record of and sense of accountability for student achievement
- An unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.