Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Join an incredible community of educators who are passionate about progressive pedagogy while embracing a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and accountability for student learning. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it. HVA is committed to providing our team with a range of benefit offerings at a competitive value.
At HVA, we believe that all students can excel academically, including students with academic, social and emotional challenges. As the Special Education Inclusion Manager, you will lead the development and implementation of best practices that meet the needs of all students. You will work closely with staff, students, and families of HVA to ensure that students with challenges thrive at school. You will make sure that HVA complies with all relevant laws and policies pertaining to student IEPs and 504s.
- Ensure that the school remains in compliance with Special Education laws, as outlined in the CSE's Standard Operating Procedures Manual (SOPM) as well as in changes from the Chancellor.
- Coordinate with the Committee on Special Education (CSE) to secure and manage relevant service providers, their visits including hearing and vision screenings. Schedule and coordinate all aspects of a student IEP review.
- Oversee programs including integrated co-teaching classrooms and special education teacher support services.
- Coordinate the completion and implementation of Functional Behavior Assessments (FBAs), Behavior Intervention Plans (BIPs), and possibly Manifestation Determination Reviews (MDR) as needed. This will be done in collaboration with the Student and Family Affairs department.
- Provide mentorship of high quality instruction for our staff. This may include some teaching in a SETSS or ICT setting.
- Attend appropriate training and information sessions to improve the programming and supports for our students
- Meet with the Academic Team and participate in classroom observations.
- Participate in monthly mentorship meetings with managers from other HVA schools.
- At least 5 years working in special education including in an integrated co-teaching setting
- Experience in special education coordination
- Extensive experience and knowledge of NYC special education compliance laws and issues
- Ability to differentiate curriculum across subject areas
- Experience in providing professional development to a special education team
- Proven success with high-quality progressive pedagogy preferred; a commitment to developing progressive pedagogy is essential
- Strong track record of student achievement
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported, and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- Strong organizational skills that translate to time management, data collection and progress monitoring
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.