Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
As a Social Worker at HVA High School, you play a vital role in ensuring that each student fully realizes his or her potential. You partner with students, families, teachers, and staff to help students overcome and/or successfully manage barriers that negatively impact their academic, social, and emotional success at school. You provide counseling to our students in individual and group settings. You lead the way in managing crises and ensuring that students have access to outside resources as needed. You guide teachers and other staff to effectively address student issues.
Our ideal candidate is an extremely smart, passionate, and self-motivated top performer with proven clinical, teamwork, and communication skills. You get around any obstacle in order to do what's best for a child. The word bureaucracy makes a cold chill go down your spine. You're thrilled to work with talented educators and you thrive as part of a high-performing, committed, and hardworking team.
- Provide individual and group counseling to students to address academic, personal, and/or interpersonal challenges
- Advise and partner with teachers and staff to develop solutions to student, group, and school-wide issues
- Coordinate services with external providers and link families to external resources as needed (case management)
- Provide crisis counseling services to students and families
- Help develop school protocols for effectively supporting students
- Supervise school social work intern(s), providing guidance, feedback and support
- Support the school community with other duties upon request
- Master’s in Social Work, School, or Guidance Counseling
- NYS School Counselor Certificate, or LMSW certification granted or in progress
- Authorized to supervise social work or counseling interns (LMHC, LCSW, Physician, PA, Psychologist PhD, RN, or NP certified)
- At least 2 years of experience working with youth ages
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student success
- Exceptional relationship-building and communication with students and families
- Unshakeable belief that all students can learn at a high level and should be held to high academic standards
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and tremendous attention to detail
- Proficiency in Spanish a major plus
- SIFI certification a plus
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $65,000 - $188,000, and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Final salary may be adjusted based on experience and qualifications. HVA is committed to providing our team with a range of benefit offerings at a competitive value.
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive mindset; a very strong work ethic; and an inner drive for excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.