HARLEM VILLAGE ACADEMIES
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators pursuing an ambitious, sophisticated approach to deeper learning from PK-12. As a national thought leader in deeper learning, HVA is the only charter school network in New York offering Montessori and culminating in the International Baccalaureate. HVA also operates a graduate school for teachers, the Progressive Education Institute.
HVA’s educational model focuses on independent thinking, student self-direction, intellectual sophistication, and intrinsic motivation. Serving 98% Black and Latino students, HVA consistently outperforms the district, city, and state. HVA recently earned a five-year renewal with commendations for its International Baccalaureate (IB) program and has expanded to become IB for All. 100% of HVA high school students earn admission to college each year, and 83% are the first in their families to attend college.
The Managing Director (MD) of Talent will join a team that is shaping the future of American public education and making a profound impact on the lives of students in Harlem.
The Managing Director of Talent will develop and lead HVA’s vision for full cycle talent recruitment, selection and marketing geared toward prospective teachers and staff. The MD of Talent will engage in the demanding work of attracting sophisticated and effective educators who are equipped to implement HVA’s challenging deeper learning approach. The MD of Talent will implement best practices in talent acquisition and rigorous interview practices that bring those transformative educators into the organization. The MD of Talent will have a systems-orientation and drive results through the intersection of people and process. This is an incredible opportunity to lead the talent acquisition team as well as serve as a member of HVA’s senior leadership team.
Recruitment & Selection
Vision and Strategic Planning:
- Develop a comprehensive vision for talent acquisition aligned with HVA's mission and growth objectives.
- Create and execute a strategic plan to attract, select, and onboard high-quality candidates for various roles.
- Make data-driven decisions, track recruitment metrics, and measure the effectiveness of recruitment strategies.
- Manage the talent acquisition budget, optimizing resource allocation to achieve recruitment goals cost-effectively.
- Create a marketing strategy that uses HVA’s unique approach and program to attract highly qualified candidates.
- Collaborate with marketing staff to leverage multiple marketing channels to attract prospects.
Process Refinement and Innovation:
- Use feedback and ongoing evaluation to continuously improve recruitment and selection processes.
- Establish and cultivate talent pipelines, leveraging both internal networks and external partnerships.
- Leverage innovative recruitment technologies and processes to enhance the candidate experience.
Selection Criteria and Candidate Experience:
- Define and maintain clear and consistent selection criteria for all positions that aligns with the quality of professionals needed at HVA, ensuring fairness and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Oversee the candidate experience, ensuring it reflects the organization's values and culture.
- Establish feedback mechanisms to gather insights from candidates, ensuring continuous improvement.
- Ensure that the organization's employer brand is effectively and compellingly communicated to candidates.
Team Member Onboarding:
- Collaborate closely with school leaders to optimize onboarding processes to align with the organization's goals.
- Ensure onboarding timelines are realistic, efficient, and set each team member up for success.
Team & Organizational Development
- Serve as a key member of the organization's leadership team, working to achieve shared goals.
- Foster a culture of excellence and alignment between talent acquisition and other departments.
- Support the development of staff as talent ambassadors for HVA.
Talent Strategy Advisement:
- Stay informed about changes and trends in the talent landscape and keep and provide guidance to other leaders.
- Anticipate and proactively address talent-related challenges and opportunities as the organization evolves.
- Create and maintain pipelines for leadership positions to identify and develop internal talent for future roles.
Team Capacity Building:
- Develop and lead a high-performing talent acquisition team.
- Establish clear roles, responsibilities, and performance metrics for team members.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCES
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 7-10, ideally 10-20+ years professional experience in a similar role
- Experience in education required, school-based experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships and motivate a team
- Excellent team player, with willingness to be hands-on and do whatever it takes
- Strong project management skills to lead complex projects to successful completion
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills in tackling organizational challenges
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $110,000-$130,000, and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. HVA is committed to providing our team with a range of benefit offerings at a competitive value. This is an on-site position.
Our team members are passionately committed to the mission, vision, and values of Harlem Village Academies; have a positive outlook; exhibit a very strong work ethic; and possess an inner drive for personal and professional excellence. The ideal candidate will thrive working within an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.